Padres sign Micah Owings to a minor league contract

Discussion in 'Padres General Discussions' started by xelance, Feb 1, 2012.

1. xelance Member

By Ben Nicholson-Smith [February 1, 2012 at 2:41pm CST]

The Padres have agreed to sign Micah Owings to a minor league contract that includes an invitation to Spring Training, Dan Hayes of the North County Times tweets. Legacy Sports Group represents the 29-year-old right-hander.

Owings spent the 2011 season with the Diamondbacks, posting a 3.57 ERA with 6.3 K/9, 3.3 BB/9 and a 38% ground ball rate in 63 innings. A former starter with the Diamondbacks and Reds, Owings has pitched mostly out of the bullpen since 2010. At the plate, he has nine homers and an impressive .286/.313/.507 batting line in 217 career plate appearances. Kirk Gibson let Owings bat for himself regularly last year and asked him to pinch hit on one other occasion.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/02/padres-to-sign-micah-owings.html#disqus_thread

Good addition to the lineup, err.... I mean bullpen :D We should keep him on the squad as a pinch hitter ha.

Attached Files:

Greeney03 likes this.
  2. Greeney03 Administrator

*Promoted to front page, edited.

I don't love this signing, but good enough as e-surance. Perhaps he can be a DH too. lol
  3. xelance Member

not a bad signing, its only a minor league contract...no biggie.
  4. Very interesting....He could lead the team in HR's
    Greeney03 likes this.
  5. Greeney03 Administrator

Owings batting line is better than Hudson's batting line (Home split, 221 AB). :rofl: I understand that it is Petco, but cmon.
  6. SDSUBaseball Go Blues!

There's the big bat we have been looking for.

.583 hitter at Petco

Also this is a major league deal I think.
    xelance likes this.
  7. xelance Member

you are right SDSU.

new update - 4:29pm: The agreement is for a one-year, Major League deal, Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports tweets.

impressive petco numbers haha!
    Greeney03 likes this.
  8. So he'll compete for a rotation spot ...... hmmm
  9. xelance Member

Id rather have him make the rotation than Moseley, at least Owings can hit.
  10. Greeney03 Administrator

SDSU is ON IT! Nice! If he ended up being a starter, at least now we have a offensive threat in the bottom of the line up. lol
Live Thread addon by sonnb